Vodafone Hutchison Australia (VHA) has confirmed that they are ready to sell the Google Nexus One in Australia, exclusively on Vodafone. The announcement was made on their Twitter account late last week although release dates and availability of the phone were not disclosed at the time.
The HTC manufactured Nexus One is Google’s flagship smartphone which was first released in the U.S. in January this year. The phone features a beautiful 3.7-inch touchscreen display (480 x 800), 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 8 megapixel camera and a 4 GB microSD card which is upgradeable to 32 GB.
Many Australian Android fans have been waiting eagerly for the Nexus One to reach our shores and will no doubt be looking forward to upgrading to it from their current handsets. Those who don’t want to sign up with Vodafone but would like something similar can opt for the HTC Desire which is nearly identical to the Nexus One hardware wise but is available exclusively through Telstra until the end of the year.
- OS: Android 2.1 (or 2.2 depending on release date)
- Screen type: 3.7-inch AMOLED touchscreen display
- Screen resolution: 480 x 800 (WVGA)
- Processor: Qualcomm QSD 8250 1 GHz
- RAM: 512 MB
- Internal memory: 512 MB
- Expandable memory: 4 GB microSD included (upgradeable to 32 GB)
- Camera: 5 megapixel, autofocus, digital zoom and LED flash
- Location services: A-GPS, digital compass and Google Maps
- Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity sensor and ambient light sensor
– WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)*
– Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
– 3.5 mm audio jack
- Battery: 1400 mAh
– 2G 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
– 3G 900/1700/2100 MHz
- Dimensions: 59.8 x 119 x 11.5 mm
- Weight: 130 g
* Android 2.2 required for wireless N support
Update (30 June 2010): Vodafone has confirmed that the Nexus One will be available from 1 July on their $79 cap for 24 months and $0 upfront costs (total min cost $1,896) with 1 GB of included data.
Update (7 July 2010): Vodafone is also offering the Nexus One on their $49 cap plus $10 per month handset repayments for 24 months and $0 upfront costs (total min cost $1,416) with 500 MB of included data.